Monday, December 28, 2009

Family Time - Potato cakes

I always love the time of year between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Most of the family visit and we do some fun activities. As a child I remember my mom making my grandmothers recipe for piping hot potato cakes for my sister Wendy and I dripping with butter and just the right amount of salt. While my mom and dad were visiting they made Kelly, Aimee and I the same wonderful treat. We gorged ourselves on a mound of potato cakes and it was worth every calorie. Potato Cakes 4oz self raising flour 1 pound cold mash potatoes 2oz butter 1 tsp salt 1 egg yolk Mix all ingredients together. Beat until a firm ball is formed. Roll out 1/2" thick and cut into round cakes. Place on floured board before cooking on a hot plate. Brown on both sides. Serve warm with butter. Cherish special times with family and friends Sue

9 comments:

  1. POTATO CAKES I THOUGHT MY MOM WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO MADE THEM. SHE USES LEFTOVER MASHED POTATOES WHEN SHE MAKES HERS BUT I SOMRTIMES FIND MYSELF MAKING POT JUST SO I CAN MAKE THE POT. CAKES.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make something similar to that, love potatoes.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to try those...sounds delicious! It's nice to see pictures of your Mom amd Dad in your kitchen....
    Mine are so far away, but I was delighted for you to have the fortune to have yours...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas Sue. Nice to see your family all together, love to you and Wendy xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Sue, thank you so very much for sharing this receipe, plus the wonderful photos! I just called my DH to the computer to have a look-see and we're looking forward to making these. Thanks again :)
    Smile from Jackie in NC

    ReplyDelete
  6. We also make the potato cakes,,love them and they came from my Mom who is now 91.. Have a Happy New Year, hope to get to meet you this year for sure..
    Maggey

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorites. Yummy. We always had them camping.
    Good times to remember
    pea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharing your life with those you love and love you. What more could one need or want?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh and golly, thanks for the trip down memory lane, my mom and grandmother used to make potato pancakes all the time, (I do too, but not as often), must be an Ohio thing, as I grew up in Strasburg, OHio
    Wendy in cold NE Fl.
    http://quiltsbythesea.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete